Sunday, September 11, 2011

Quick-to-Make Pumpkins!

They are so cute and easy to make.

They are called "yo-yo pumpkins" because they are made with a circle of fabric and are sewn and gathered like fabric yo-yos. Simply cut circles of fabric:

Sew a small hem with "running stitch":

Gather your thread:

Throw in some poly-fil stuffing, pull the gathered stitch closed and tie a knot to secure:

I cut 3 pieces of jute long enough to wrap around the pumpkin with 3-4" extra on each end. The 4th piece of jute was cut about 10 inches longer:

I gathered all 4 strips of jute on the top of the pumpkin...

spacing it evenly so that the bottom looked like this:

I took the longest cord and began to wrap it tightly around all the other cords until it measured about 1-2", knotted it and added a dab of glue:

They are so easy to make and just adorable:

A few touches of fall are beginning to show up around here:


Update 2013:

2 years later this post was shared in the Syracuse Post Standard:





Sharing this idea with:
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple
Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative
Making The World Cuter @ Making The World Cuter
Amaze Me Monday @ Dittle Dattle
Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

23 comments:

  1. They turned out cute Patti! Love all of the festive colors of your fabric:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patti, your pumpkins are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patti, your pumpkins are just great! Thanks to the tips on how to create them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pumpkins are really cute. I love how the jute is used to create the stem, that is a great idea! Perfect fabrics.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely adorable..
    Love these and just found a great use for my scrap fabric.

    thanks also, for showing us how to make the stem look authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute they are and yes, very easy...love the fabrics you've used and the colors are great! Thanks for the tutorial. Just dropped from MM at Susan's. Hugs. FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! It looks so beautiful.Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these pumpkins! There are adorable! I cant wait to make some for my own house! Thanks for sharing!
    Ky
    http://burstofcreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these! They are so cute and they look super easy to make. I can't wait to try some! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Those DO look easier. A lot easier than I expected, honestly! They look wonderful. Maybe I'll get around to making some of them this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute! Those look so easy to make. I think I have some perfect fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute and for a no sewer like me, I can pull this off!

    Thanks for stopping by my kitchen tour. My pantry is actually square inside. Have you tried to make cardboard shelf templets? Good luck - where there is a will there is a way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! It's me again. :) Just wanted to let you know I'll be featuring this project on a fall roundup, so feel free to stop by my blog and check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, these pumpkins are so cute and look easy to make too. Somehow come Fall my home looks like a pumpkin patch as I just love them. I am going to have to try these. Thanks for stopping by "In His Grip" :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. And now I've pinned it and will be making them, too! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable! It's really beginning to look a lot like Fall around blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Patti those are totally FANTASTIC. I love the fun yellow fabric you choose, and the way the cord is wrapped around to make a cute stem, it's just adorable.

    Great now I need to go pin this, lol.

    Have a great night!!

    I would LOVE to invite you to check out my weekly parties. I would be so happy if you linked up, this and any other fabulous project you are working on. MAYBE even add me to your party LIST (yikes). That would be RAD!!!
    Stop by anytime to say hello!!!
    Hugs, Bella :)
    **AMAZE ME AUGUST** @ Bella Before and After Any projects, recipes, diy welcome.

    Euro Style Cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You gals are great. You are accomplishing stuff. I spent the day under the bar sink. Hot water dispenser leak. You got something pretty. You rock.
    Hugs, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  19. ADORABLE! Love your cute little punkins! Audrey

    ReplyDelete